SPRAVATO®: A New Option for Treatment-Resistant Depressionweb_admin
For adults with major depressive disorder, treatment-resistant depression, and suicidal thoughts and actions, there is now a new option available. SPRAVATO® is the first prescription nasal spray to be taken in conjunction with an oral antidepressant. Let’s look at how this innovative medicine works and why it is essential for those living with depression.
How Does It Work?
SPRAVATO® was developed to help adults who are already taking an oral antidepressant but still have symptoms of depression or actively suicidal thoughts or actions; this means that SPRAVATO® is not meant to replace oral antidepressants. SPRAVATO® contains esketamine, a chemical similar to ketamine (which has long been used as an anesthetic). Esketamine binds to certain receptors in the brain and helps regulate mood more quickly than traditional antidepressants do. This medication must be administered by a medical professional and should only be used under medical supervision.
What Are The Benefits?
The benefits of using SPRAVATO® in conjunction with traditional antidepressants include faster relief from symptoms of depression, more options for treatment-resistant depression, and fewer side effects compared to other medications used to treat depression—including improved motor function. Additionally, studies have shown that people who use SPRAVATO® are less likely to relapse into episodes of depression than those who don’t use it. This means that patients can take advantage of its benefits without worrying about long-term consequences or addiction issues.
Benefits of using SPRAVATO® for Depression
- SPRAVATO® is a novel antidepressant that has been shown to be effective in treating depression.
- SPRAVATO® is a nasal spray that delivers esketamine, a chemical cousin of ketamine, into the bloodstream.
- SPRAVATO® has been found to be effective in treating patients who have not responded to other antidepressants.
- SPRAVATO® is fast-acting, with patients often feeling relief within hours or days of starting treatment.
- SPRAVATO® is thought to work by restoring connections between brain cells that have been lost in people with depression.
- SPRAVATO® is generally well-tolerated, with the most common side effects being dizziness, nausea, and headache.
- SPRAVATO® is not addictive and does not have the same abuse potential as other drugs like ketamine.
- SPRAVATO® is a safe and effective treatment option for people with depression who have not responded to other treatments.
- SPRAVATO® should be used in conjunction with an oral antidepressant for best results.
- Talk to your doctor if you are interested in trying SPRAVATO® for your depression.
For those living with major depressive disorder, treatment-resistant depression, or suicidal thoughts or actions, finding the proper treatment can be tricky—and often discouraging. With the introduction of SPRAVATO®, there is now an additional option for these individuals. This medication can provide faster symptom relief than traditional antidepressants and offers fewer side effects than other medications used to treat depression. While it should always be administered under medical supervision, this groundbreaking medicine could potentially change the way we treat mental health issues like major depressive disorder in the future.